Welcome to this place
It’s nerve-wracking to type this. My fingers are buzzing, my gut’s jumping, and nonetheless, here I am. Does anyone want to listen to a 54-year-old woman with a pudgy, aching and yet useful body talk about fashion and the ongoing fashion drought in my town? Is the phrase “fashion drought” inflammatory and am I already in trouble? It will take some time to settle down.
Modus operandi: I want to talk about high fashion being for the masses regardless of body shape or locale. I want to examine my own fashion fears and prejudices. Talking about my own body will happen often, but I won’t talk much about body image or body positivity or things like that. It will creep in, but so many others do it and do it so well. Check out the links on the side.
Expanded modus operandi: I am interested in colors, shapes, fabrics and in wondering how a normal woman with a normal body might appropriate some of that for herself. In my world this means sewing. The aforementioned middle-aged body makes it difficult for me to buy off the rack and my other reason for writing is to up my sewing game. Get a sloper made, sew a fitted woven blouse, find the intersection of fashion and comfort and edge that I crave. For those who don’t sew, if I have anything clever to say about substitutions as we look at pictures from the collections, I will say it. I won’t talk about thrifting, for which I have tremendous admiration, but again, others already do it. And frankly, I can’t quite figure it out.
Information base camp:
- Check out my About me page.
- Marital status: Twice divorced, not looking for anything new in this area
- Kids: None. Lots of beloved nieces and nephews. There is a great dog in the house, but he’s not a kid. Just a dog.
- Technology profile: Late adopter to the I Phone, devoted to it like Charlton Heston was devoted to his guns. Apple gal, but conversant in PCs, too. Kindle, no tablet, but covet an I Pad. I love my library and get books there all the time. Roku box, no Netflix, instead Amazon Prime.
- Designers I admire: Dries Van Noten, Haider Ackerman, anything Marc Jacobs, Prada (always Prada), Bottega Veneta, Burberry Prosum, Rag & Bone, and others which we will discover together.
- Designers I own: See note above about pudginess. I do own a pair of Rag & Bone boots. I splurge on shoes a lot. The ones in the picture are from John Fluevog. I can’t wait for fall to come so I can wear them again.
- Food/exercise profile: Yoga is the thing right now. It used to be dance, but the joints buckled and I was living on aspirin. Zero gravity yoga in fact, yoga in the swing. It’s fun. Food is about 60 – 70% raw, not too much animal protein, some chicken and fish. No beef for the longest time. Tea not coffee. Fine chocolates and bread bring joy.
- Job: I’ve got one. Very happily employed by a fine company right here in Traverse City.
Welcome to Say Yes and No with Vigor